Re: XML-RPC Spec Update

Author:Hannes Wallnöfer
Posted:2/10/1999; 6:51:40 AM
Topic:XML-RPC Spec Update

I agree it's important to have version info for in the next version of XML-RPC.

However, I think the current encoding and WDDX are too similar to coexist in any version. I would propose to couple the argument encoding with the version of XML-RPC. For example, XML-RPC 1 (the current version) will always use the current encoding, while version 2 may always use WDDX. RPC2 servers could easily understand RPC 1 requests (simply requests without version info) and switch to RPC 1 responses for these. RPC2 clients could be set to send RPC1 requests for older servers.

I think having completely pluggable argument encodings would make XML-RPC libraries too complex or incompatible, and not really offer a lot of advantages for users/programmers.