Re: XML-RPC Spec Update

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:2/10/1999; 7:28:16 AM
Topic:XML-RPC Spec Update

For example, XML-RPC 1 (the current version) will always use the current encoding

Absolutely. Let me tatoo that on my forehead for all to see. XML-RPC 1.0 is set in stone. It will never change. Anything that comes after will be optional.

However, the advantage of having a plug-in format will get Allaire to use our package format for WDDX, and there are a lot of Cold Fusion developers we'd like to be compatible with.

And surely Sun, IBM, AOL, Apple, Novell, W3C, you name it, are surely working on object serialization formats. Now we could say to them that they should adopt XML-RPC as their encoding format, but they're going to go their own way, each of them behaving as any gorilla would. I like the ability to specify a format for parameters because it says we're OK with people cooking their own formats, and we can work with them.

I've been to this place before, I think. Being rigid is not a good idea. Yes, it means that you get clients and servers that are only partially compatible with other clients and servers. That's why it's nice that we have a 1.0 spec that's deployed to fall back on.