Re: XML-RPC vs. Corba

Author:michael j lawley
Posted:2/11/1999; 5:40:09 AM
Topic:XML-RPC Spec Update

We're in agreement on that. CORBA, in my mind, is as much bound to Unix as COM is to Windows and Apple Events are to the Mac.

Dave, I've seen you write something like this many times and every time I wonder where you've got the idea that CORBA is a Unix only thing? The whole point of CORBA is language independent interface specification (and IIOP gives you a wire protocol). There's no OS dependency at all. One area where CORBA shines is tying together apps written on different platforms (hardware & OS) & with different APIs.

Where CORBA is ugly is in its language bindings to older languages such as C (and, to a lesser extent, C++) since they are much more low-level than, say, Java & python, both of which are a dream to do CORBA stuff with.

Anyway, in a week or so, after my current work-crunch, I'll put together a simple XML-RPC to CORBA bridge using DII. BTW, if type tags go away, then this type of thing becomes much more difficult.