Re: Membership RPC handlers

Author:Chuck Shotton
Posted:2/11/1999; 6:39:07 AM
Topic:Membership RPC handlers

This would also help avoid inconsistent docs: http://developers.userland.com/stories/searchEngineInterface says that the procedure name is nirvanaServer.search.index, but the examples use searchEngine.index.

Truthfully, I think RPCs ought to be able to be referenced by normal URLs. e.g., http://nirvana.userland.com:80/search/index.rpc2 with the object body containing the parameters as usual. (this might imply that the methodName would be "/search/index" instead of "search.index", but implementation specific translations of "/" to "." should be a no-brainer.)

That removes any implementation-specific naming convention problems. It also removes any problems with port number discovery. FWIW, our implementation of XML/RPC in Gossip does use slashes as hierarchy separators in RPC method names that we support.