Glossary Magic

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:2/17/1999; 11:13:21 AM
Topic:Need more info on cXML/e-commerce XML (and FUD)

That's an interesting side-effect from having ported the DaveNet website this last weekend. When a page is rendered on that site, for historic (now obsolete) reasons, it also adds a link in the global glossary, user.html.glossary.

When any page is rendered in Frontier, unless the feature is turned off, all text passes thru the glossary, so when you put "XML" in the text, it looks it up in the glossary hiearchy and finds it, it's the DaveNet piece entitled XML.

Note, unless someone had visited the page it wouldn't be in the glossary. But as soon as someone visits it, in it goes, and it pollutes the rendering environment, in an interesting way of course.

I have user.html.glossary open on the server, and I can see that other DaveNet pieces are in there, like "We Make Shitty Software" and "Welcome Back Jean-Louis". Thanks to some magic on the server I can even point to the table dynamically so you can have a look. Try visiting a page on the DaveNet site and watch it show up in the glossary. "It's Like an Ant Farm!".