Re: domains vs doctree in mainresponder

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:2/18/1999; 3:13:22 AM
Topic:domains vs doctree in mainresponder

I hit the same wall a couple of days ago, I wish this discussion had come up back in October when the issues were fresh in my mind. But that's OK, this is going to be a FAQ for sure.

I agree with your first point, not everyone has easy access to DNS changes. I don't agree with your second point, sub-domains do not need to propogate thru the net. I'm not sure why, but our changes take effect immediately. davenet.userland.com, a recently added subdomain, was mapped in minutes. I redirected, no complaints from anyone about being able to find the new subdomain. I'm sure if there had been trouble we would have heard about it.

Let's try to turn this into a design. Look at this page, study it, I will, and let's try to figure out how to shoe-horn this in. If I recall correctly this was a very tight little box, there were no easy design choices. The tradeoff was simplicity for power. I chose simplicity. Now we can do something that might be a bit arcane but gives you the flexibility you need. Chris Short just posted a message on this subject on the Frontier-server list, so let's wait for other people to chime in. I'm sure we can work something out.