Re: DG and Umlaute (ä and friends)

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:2/19/1999; 8:36:06 AM
Topic:DG and Umlaute (ä and friends)

Christoph, it's time to get to the bottom of this one.

We need to set up an experiment, on your system, and watch the text flow thru mainResponder.root and see where the incorrect translation is happening, on your server.

Browse thru discuss.root, and look at the body of a test message. It may be helpful to change it to wptext. Has the translation already happened? If so, then we need to look at the routines that process the POST request when an author enters a message. If not, then we need to look at the code that does the display. Then we can further split the problem in half by putting calls in that copy intermediate results to scratchpad.

Want to know my hunch? I think the problem is in display and that the text is correct in discuss.root. But with this "split the baby" approach the bug can't stay hidden for very long!