Re: My Poor Desktop

Author:Monty Hayter
Posted:2/19/1999; 2:43:51 PM
Topic:My Poor Desktop

On downloading in Netscape: I've actually had problems with Netscape, IE4, and Opera when downloading files. They all seem to have their own quirks, especially when dealing with FTP sites. Which is why I usually have an FTP client open and ready to go when I expect I'll be downloading files. Besides being generally more reliable, they're often faster, too. (I also tire of, for example, IE blowing up, and taking any current in-progress transfers with it...usually at about 90% complete, of course...)

One thing that I've run into in the past on various Microsoft pages is badly formed HTML, such as a table embedded in a table, where only the inner table has a closing tag. IE (and to a lesser extent, Opera) is fairly forgiving of such problems, while Netscape 4.x (haven't tried it with the Mozilla or Gecko builds) is not. In fact, I was just reading about DHTML applications in IE5, and how IE is forgiving enough to ignore the lack of or tags.

I have mixed feelings about this. I understand why they're doing it, but surely we aren't doing anyone any favours by allowing badly formed HTML, especially if you're trying to parse it automatically.