Re: My Poor Desktop

Author:J. P. Kang
Posted:2/19/1999; 2:02:54 PM
Topic:My Poor Desktop

I have no experience with regediting, but my question has to do with the terminology used to label the encodings--in the Internet control panel it says under Fonts, Language script and it selects by default (at least on my Win98 install) "Latin-based."

Is this the same thing as what Netscape calls Western encoding in its Edit > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts pane? It doesn't seem to obviously follow that it is, because the other language "scripts" that the Internet control panel offers don't match the lists of encodings that both Netscape and IE offer in their View > Character Set (Netscape)/Encoding (IE) submenu. So... are the encodings Latin-based (according to the Internet control panel), Western (as defined by Netscape) and Western European (ISO) as termed by IE, all the same thing or not?

If not, then IE is completely lacking in its interface the way to change the encoding faces, which it should offer, in order to be consistent with other programs that maintain their own local preferences, or else it needs to start paying attention to the Internet control panel's prefs!

Outlook Express (see Microsoft's explanation of a "fonts dialog box" (seemingly for Outlook Express' Tools > Options > Read > Fonts button) at http://support.microsoft.com/support/ie/iewin16/inprodhlp/ie/fontstgs.asp) seems to have its own set of encoding/fonts preferences for email messages with HTML...