New/updated features for Discussion group?

Author:Jason Gerry
Posted:2/23/1999; 11:00:13 AM
Topic:New/updated features for Discussion group?

I have a suggestion and was wondering if anyone else had any comments or suggestions of their own...

I really like the discussion forum, except that I don't like the threaded messaging system. More accurately, I don't like the interface to the threaded messaging system. Since messages are nested, I'm always clicking on my back button, 2 or 3 levels at a time, to get back to where I started. I also miss responses this way.

I think an excellent addition would be a 'flat' reading mode, that would compile every child response, and responses to those responses, etc, into a single page, with dividers. I didn't think I'd like the concept, but I really do! Check out Slashdot.org for an example of 'flat' mode. The link points to a particular story on Slashdot that I'm reading in 'flat' mode.

I believe it would be pretty simple to implement and I'm a believer in offering lots of different interfaces to the same information. Whatever the user wants (within reason), they should be able to get. But as a developer, I do know that sometimes, the user doesn't really want what they THINK they want. I really do want this. :)

Just a thought for a nice feature.