Re: XML-RPC and bus locations.

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:2/23/1999; 12:33:32 PM
Topic:Highway Webcams and traffic maps

I've been looking at the seattle bus tracking system. Ok. Here's what I want.

Mail to the future convolved with the bus tracking system in seattle.

I'm sick of waiting for the bus in 35 degree 35mph wind + rain. I want to know when the bus is about to get to the stop.

So..... how about this...

I go to the website, and tell them that I want to know when the #15 express bus northbound passes 1st and Jackson (several blocks from my office, about 7 minutes by their schedules)

Then for the next hour or so, every time the 15 express passes that point, they make an xml-rpc request to my machine. My machine intreprets that and tells me "Leave _NOW_ or wait 15 minutes."

Same deal for home. I hit their website (or xml request) Every time the 15 express passes 100th street going south, let me know.

All I've got to do is figure out how much time/space I need to get to the bus stop and we're all set.

eric