Re: XML-RPC and bus locations.

Author:Luke Pond
Posted:2/25/1999; 10:51:19 AM
Topic:Highway Webcams and traffic maps

I'm on the group that produces Busview. You can get notification when a bus on your route reaches a certain point, but you have to find the bus on the map first, right-click it and choose "bus progress", and then click your location on the progress bar. How could this work better for you?

Since we mostly code in java, I'd be tempted to use RMI for the type of server-to-browser notification Eric suggests. However, we've found it difficult (if not impossible) to make RMI connections work across a firewall. How does XML-RPC address this? Are suspicious system administrators really willing to allow incoming text/xml POSTs on any socket?

Luke