Re: Scripting 2 on my.netscape!

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:2/24/1999; 8:16:35 PM
Topic:Scripting 2 on my.netscape!

I love the way you think conceptually, the idea of a website as fruitcake is very wild and very interesting. But if there is to be a standard it should be brain-dead simple. RDF adds so much complexity, I can't find the time to dig in and understand it. I don't think I'll ever get the time. Now I understand WDDX, and XML-RPC, and we even have a format for Scripting News, that could work for other news sites if we changed the name. Have you looked at the XML version?

http://news.userland.com/mostRecentScriptingNews.xml

Check it out, maybe this is close to what other people can use? I think Lawrence Lee is already generating this for Tomalak's Realm. I've published the source code for the script that generates it, but it's pretty simple stuff. Wouldn't be hard to even write a news site in this format and do renderers in every scripting langauge.

Just thinking out loud here.

Keep the ideas churning!

Dave