possible way to do xml-rpc in dreamweaver

Author:Andrew Wooldridge
Posted:2/24/1999; 8:27:59 PM
Topic:possible way to do xml-rpc in dreamweaver

I've come up with a possible way to do xml-rpc in Dreamweaver. I call it the "bucket brigade" approach.

There is a new extension to DW that allows it to read and write to any file and read directories and create directories.

So what? You say- well what this means is that DW could "watch" a directory or file like Frontier does, and when a new or updated file enters that directory, DW could read it in, parse the XML and using some scripting call the functions spec'd by the RPC call.

I call this a bucket brigade approach because you pass the message like a bucket - send an email to say a netscape browser - it auto-downloads it every few minutes and using a filter, saves the email to a specific folder. Then, DW which has been set to check this file every few minutes , detects this change and reads in the file. It parses the XML and runs the functions specified the the rpc.

The only chink in this armor is that I cannot yet see how to get DW to upload or download files to/from a server.

I'll post more about this as I discover it...