Re: XML-RPC and bus locations.

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:2/25/1999; 2:43:54 PM
Topic:Highway Webcams and traffic maps

My idea was building on the fractional horsepower http server idea. I can put a web server in a much smaller computer than I can put a current java implementation. (seems wierd, but I guess that's just the state of the vm's.) The xml-rpc idea gets it to be platform agnostic, as opposed to java platform.

I think that what I want it to do could be done outside the java platform more easily than from within java. What I'd like to see is to be able to tell the system: Bus 15(express), southbound, intersection: xth & yth. Then the system sends a lightweight message: bus 15e(s) is at intersection@ xxam to my server whenever that pair of conditions are met. My server intreprets that message and does something with it, either plays a sound, pops up a dialog, pages me, or whatever.

Basically, I don't want to do the monitoring of the bus position, I want a computer to do it for me.

Since I'm already running the server, presumably I've already figured out how to get a http post through it.

You know, it might be even easier than that. Just have the bus server:

GET http://myserver/buslocation.cgi?15e/southbound/15th/65th/8.00am

when the bus passes 15th and 65th.

eric