Having had broadband for a while...

Author:David Brown
Posted:3/2/1999; 8:14:19 AM
Topic:Snappy!

I've had a cable modem for two years now, and I wouldn't give it back for anything.

But getting broadband reminds me of what happens as computers get faster. Developers start loading up the software with more and more features, some necessary, some just flash, and soon, the computer feels just about as fast as the previous, slower model did.

It didn't take long for my 300MHz Pentium II to feel as fast as my 50MHz 486.

I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen with broadband access -- I have a really fast connection now, and it's been really fast for a while. I don't want developers to start loading up my connection with flash just to make things look better. Or if they do, at least let me opt for a lower bandwidth experience.

I'm afraid that my cable modem will start feeling like a 33.6K modem.

I'm also afraid that the real money will be in giving people the flash, and I won't get the choice.

dave

p.s. thank you, Dave, for giving me the ability to edit my own posts... :)