Re: the bandwidth thing

Author:James Spahr
Posted:3/4/1999; 1:40:46 PM
Topic:ADSL

All this talk about broadband reminded me of a lecture I attended at Pratt Institute 5 years ago. The speaker was William Mitchell, a proffessor at the MIT School of Architecture.

He made the arguement that in years past a computer's processing time was precious. Today we waste it - computers are sitting doing nothing a large part of the time. He claimed bandwidth was next, and said that soon we'd waste away bandwidth as well.

He then then went on how this would radically change architecture... blah blah blah....

I sure hope he's right (about the bandwidth, and his thoughts on our future abodes)

He wrote a book about, call "City of Bits", here's the link at Amazon