Re: the bandwidth thing

Author:Lixian B. Chiu
Posted:3/4/1999; 2:10:07 PM
Topic:ADSL

Honestly, I can only agree part of it. I, for one, don't waste much of my computer's processing time. And, I assume that no serious computer artists will waste the computer's CPU power also. In fact, a lot of softwares today use the computer's idle time to do stuffs. Your computers are scheduled to check mail every once a while; when you are using ICQ or AIM, your computer is actually constantly listening for signals coming from other part of the world; browsers' subscription function download the web sites that you usually visit for you after a period of time ... even on boring productivity software, as the CPU power increase, the developers are trying to squeeze more funtions into it. The users may not notice, but there are many things going on behind the scene that eat up CPU processing time. Also, your system is now using up more processing time to talk to new peripherials that you added to your computer.

Waste of bandwidth! I can see people actively wasting bandwidth, by sending big files around unnecessarily thru emails, but I really doubt that we will come close to wasting bandwidth passively.

If Dave is on the right direction, then we can assume that a lot of developers are waiting to replace the desktop apps with networked apps. Just look at the speed of your hard drive and memory. Comparing them with the speed of our internet connection, and it's very obviously that we have a long road towards the land of waste bandwidth.