Re: The technographer's net connection

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:3/4/1999; 2:22:00 PM
Topic:ADSL

We don't have to broadcast a huge surface because outliners can expand and collapse. The room is not filled with typists. It's filled with managers, decision-makers, peons, people who want to have a meeting, not do a group typing lab.

You put your finger on this in this paragraph: "I agree though that the heirarchical outline nature of Frontier makes it a wonderful tool to focus a meeting. We learned to brief the clients on using an outline form of delineation. The client would walk away with a much higher quality result, and the audience would actually retain some of the knowlege because of the heirarchy. For some reason, the heirarchy enhanced retention. I'm sure there must be big-buck research going on in psychology circles somewhere about this kind of thing."

That's the magic we're wanting to bottle. We know it works, we've done it, face to face, with one person typing on a projected display into an outline. The non-techies get it. And meetings actually get stuff done. Now we want to put it on the Internet. Everyone who's trying to do videoconferencing is going to hit the same barriers you hit, it's intimidating and impractical, for all the reasons you outline.

When we discuss this here, 3/4 of the responses assume we want to repeat what you learned, but we don't. Videoconferencing and group whiteboards are great if that's what you want, but we don't. I wish people would hear this.

Dave