Re: Welcome to the world I've been fighting with for 5 years!

Author:Dori Smith
Posted:3/4/1999; 5:24:07 PM
Topic:Snappy!

Second - not many people realize that cable-modem access rates go down dirctly proportional to the number of subscribers signed up - so that's a dead-end scenario at best.

Yes and no.

We've had cable modems here since August 97 (we were beta testers), so we've seen a lot of growth in that time. If you have a reasonably intelligent operator they'll have budgeted to plan for this. Subscriber growth should lead to infrastructure growth.

About a year or so ago, we noticed that things would start to slow down over a few weeks, then we'd have a brief outage, and then things would be back to as fast as they'd ever been. Since then, they've learned how to upgrade without the brief outage.

And yes, our cable system (MediaOne) also has a similar silly subscriber agreement. However, we haven't exactly been subtle about the fact that we've networked everything together, and we've never heard a peep from them in the last 19 months. It's not as if they have the manpower to go door-to-door, looking to see who's running what inside their houses.