Archive of UserLand's first discussion group, started October 5, 1998.
Re: Welcome to the world I've been fighting with for 5 years
Author: Dori Smith Posted: 3/4/1999; 8:59:23 PM Topic: Snappy! Msg #: 3604 (In response to 3598) Prev/Next: 3603 / 3605
It's interesting... after this long, I've started thinking about net access the way I think about electricity. When I flick the switch, the lights turn on. When I click on a link, I go there. This is making me think about what's going on behind the scenes for the first time in a long time...
- can you tell what's coming from where? We know these folks use extensive caching technology, I'm especially interested in "are they caching just popular web sites, or video/audio as well?"
MediaOne works with the browser's proxy server settings. You don't have to use their caching scheme; I prefer not to. So I don't have any experience with what's cached. Things are plenty fast enough without it.
- has MP3 changed any of this?
- have you ever experienced MPEG-1 video - full screen, full motion (30 fps) video through your system?
30 fps? No. Or should I say, not yet
- what satnds out as being blisterly fast - versus just faster?
FTP. For instance, if I go to get OS 8.6 off the Apple developer sites, it kicks butt. The *big* software downloads are no big deal. Getting 120-150k/sec. is ordinary.
- is there any 'custom' content your provider provides?
- is there a 'broadband' portal that comes along with your service?
Yes, at http://www.mediaone.net/losangeles/. Tonight's probably the first time I've ever even looked at it.
This page was archived on 6/13/2001; 4:48:24 PM.
© Copyright 1998-2001 UserLand Software, Inc.