Ecco

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:3/5/1999; 5:51:26 AM
Topic:Frontier and PIM's

Ecco. Nice product. Too many features. I argued passionately with Peter Polash, the lead developer of the product, before releasing it that he should cut back on the features and produce a simple product and market it for the low bucks that he was planning to charge, and reserve the high-end features for a high priced product. He didn't listen. I told him what would happen, but he knew better. Ecco just repeated the story we had learned so well. If you encourage people to think of your software as cheap, they'll be cheap with you. They'll expect the upgrades, and you won't have enough money to show up at trade shows, run ads, or pay marketing and support people. This ends in disaster as Rosenberg reported, not just for the company, but for the users too, who wonder which OS release is going to be the end of the road for Ecco.