Outliners, Open Source, and common interfaces

Author:Dan Lyke
Posted:3/5/1999; 7:56:42 AM
Topic:Frontier and PIM's

I've bit the bullet and learned Emacs. I now have a common interface for all of my apps (editing, web browsing, email, news, probably spreadsheets too but I haven't needed one, etc) which works on every platform I sit down at (Windows, Linux, Irix, SunOS, I assume Macintoshes although I haven't tried Emacs for Mac, etc), and an outliner to boot.

Since simplicity is key, perhaps a small rant educating us Linux weenies on how a dedicated outliner is different from the outliner built into many editors (heck, even Word has an outline mode) would be in order. It'd certainly be appreciated. Once I have the ability to collapse and expand trees and leaves, move nodes around, all in an editor whose keystrokes I'm familiar with, and export that outline to HTML for easy presentations, what more do I need?