Re: Thoughts from the Linux Trenches

Author:Kurt Granroth
Posted:3/5/1999; 1:42:35 PM
Topic:DHTML MTTF!

A few notes on this:

There was a disagreement between the Gnome and KDE developers over a year ago. They agreed to disagree, and went their separate ways. Because of the recent changes in the Qt license (Qt is the toolkit used to write KDE), there's no longer any philosphical disagreement between the two groups.

You are correct that we originally agreed to go our seperate ways. Unfortunately, certain Gnome developers have very recently decided to start sniping at KDE in public. One would have thought that the QPL would mute some of our differences... but it doesn't seem to be happening. The amount of hysterical posturing on forums such as SlashDot on how terrible the QPL is have effectively shown that certain factions will not be satisfied until Qt/KDE is fully GPLed.

KDE includes a Gnome-compliant Window Manager. Both environments support the same drag and drop protocol

KDE does not include anything that is even remotely Gnome compliant. Perhaps you are thinking of Blackbox which has support for both KDE and Gnome hints? The drag-and-drop protocols are currently very different. They will be the same in the coming months, however.

About the only work remaining is reconciling the "look and feel" of individual applications and getting OpenParts to talk to Baboon. None of this is especially difficult, but it will all take time.

The difficulty lies neither in technical nor temporal realm. The difficulty is finding somebody to do it!

The Gnome developers and the KDE developers get along OK, so why can't all the users respect each other?

Again, this used to be the case. I have a hard time respecting developers that spread FUD, though, regardless of their talent...