Discuss.userland and slow connections

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:3/7/1999; 12:51:34 PM
Topic:Discuss.userland and slow connections

I've been seeing some cut off pages lately from duscuss.userland.com and from my own server lately when I've been connecting over a slow and somewhat flakey link.

Generally what will happen is that the page will come in chunks, but I'll get 8-24k of a 50 k page before the connection closes and the page comes on screen, minus the end of the index table and the calendar typically. MSIE doesn't report a problem, the page is just ended, sometimes in the middle of a word. Last night, I reloaded the main discussion page 4 or 5 times, and I never did see the calendar on the side.

This has also happened with my personal mail page and webedit requests if they are over 10 k or so. I have noticed on the webedit requests that the mount that I get is typically a multiple of the chunk size.

This doesn't typically happen with the scripting.com home page. Which is generally at least as big as the discussion group. This also doesn't happen nearly as frequently from work, where I've got a 128k line.

It seems to be limited to frontier served sites, and it also seems to be something that has just showed up pretty recently. It doesn't look like it's within the main responder. I wonder if it's something that went through the update process a few weeks ago?

eric