A Microsoft Distro

Author:Chris Grayson

Maybe other people have asked this question and I've just missed it.

Why doesn't Microsoft release their own distribution of Linux? It's open source, of course, and they could just package it and put the MS logo on it.

I think Microsoft is now like IBM was (i.e., nobody ever got fired for buying from them). And so now the perception of Linux as a very stable server platform is the big buzz. So, if there's a Microsoft distribution of Linux, I think it would sell tons.

I guess the price couldn't be anywhere near NT's - and that it would free customers to switch to another distribution whenever they felt like it (no lock-in to a proprietary OS). Maybe those are good enough reasons for MS not to do it... But it would be interesting! Talk about a zig!

Chris Grayson