Re: Linux and winning

Author:Oliver Wrede

In fact I did ask a simple question, which was, if there is a chance to run a UserTalk scripted website framework off a UNIX box (and if maybe a UserTalk-Interpreter/-Daemon would do the trick).

From the discussion I could gather these answers:

  1. UserTalk interpreter/Frontier daemon for UNIX? No way! - Because Userland will not waste time and money on this (but they have esoteric plans, which may turn out not that esoteric one day!).

  2. If you want to edit with Frontier and serve dynamically from a UNIX host, you can only use scripts, which can be interpreted by the UNIX server. You will not be able to use the object oriented HTML stuff and the 3rd-party suites itself (as long as they are used for the dynamic "per-request" parts)

  3. You can do lots of direct interplatform stuff by calling scripts on the UNIX host directly via XML-RPC (whatever you need it for). There are bidirectional XML-RPC "gateways" available for Perl, Java and Phyton.

  4. Theoretically, there could be some sort of back-ending of Frontier, when using a database (like MySQL) to reconstruct parts of the ODB concept there... but until now no one came up with a good solution for this yet (Is that what Dave calls "Frontier freindly runtime enviroment"?).

  5. If that doesn't fit your needs, get an NT or MacOS server or stop digging!

Oliver

p.s.: I like the idea of a JAVA frontend Dino Morelli was mentioning, but I think the latest stuff with IE5/DHTML (about which Dave is very enthusiastic), will make this option obsolete.