Re: Personal Portals

Author:Steve Ivy
Posted:3/12/1999; 1:42:04 PM
Topic:Personal Portals

creating links and forms going to other sites is the easier part, getting live content into the personal page such as stock quotes, or headline news is where it gets tricky.

Not so hard, though. My Personal Portal sucks down the xml version of Scripting News. I think there's a couple more Frontier-based sites which are maintaining .xml versions. (Does Tomalak? No. ;-( ) So the ability is going to be there. I really think the combination of XML and subscriptions / syndication is going to expand the publishing paradigm on the web.

If you run a Frontier-based weblog, let us know!

--Steve

I'd like to see scriptingnews.xml become an xml-rpc call as well, so, for example, I can register with Dave that I'm subscribing to his content. The rpc call could register me the first time I call it, then afterwords it doesn't bother. But it would give Dave a record of who is "subscribing", and send out information along with the xml that was intended only for his subscription / syndication audience.