Re: Personal Portals

Author:Andrew Duncan
Posted:3/12/1999; 10:58:41 PM
Topic:Personal Portals

I really think the combination of XML and subscriptions/syndication is going to expand the publishing paradigm on the web

I'd rather have a change to the reading paradigm!

The combination of Frontier-as-webserver and a modern browser gives me huge power over my desktop. What I See Is What I Want (WISIWIW). Subscriptions, XML or otherwise, definitely play a part, but there's much more to it.

Here's a screenshot of my personal portal:

http://www.webwerks.co.nz/webwerks/images/picture2.gif

To-Do list management is one possibility. I could run Frontier as a mail server too, and put all my mail thru the browser. And FTP directory listings updated every few minutes. Anywhere I can get a feed from.

But the point is that the display is at least as important as the source/format of the information. And Frontier makes that possible with bells on.

Yeehaa!