Re: Why MacOS X Server?

Author:Chris Hanson

On the Macintosh, the pointer does not move linearly with the mouse. Instead, it follows an acceleration curve, so that jerking the mouse moves the pointer further than slow & steady manipulation.

I don't know if Windows and X11 just use different acceleration curves, or if they don't use acceleration at all, or if the mouse hardware behaves differently from that on the Macintosh, but they definitely feel different. My NeXTstations behave more like Macs when it comes to pointer response, as did a BeBox that I had access to a while ago -- gotta wonder why that is :) -- but they're not quite the same.