Re: Why Apple compare Apache on OS X with IIS on NT

Author:Lixian B. Chiu
Posted:3/18/1999; 9:53:31 AM
Topic:Why Apple compare Apache on OS X with IIS on NT

You are right, but since it's still an Apache server, we know that there are other external factors affecting the performance, be it the OS, or the optimized TCP/IP stacks. On the other hand, if they compared Apache on OS X against IIS on NT, they would be comparing 4 different beasts with no common factors. How do you tell whether it is IIS beats Apache, NT beats OS X server, or vice versa?

On the other hand, I also think that a Web benchmarks is not a very reliable measure. Anyone knows how they measure it? Nowadays, a lot of websites are actually a web application. The OS runs more than just the webserver, but also a bunch of other apps, cgis, and/or databases. I would doubt that the cooperative Mac OS (w/ WebTen) can still perform better the OS X server under such environment.