Re: Who needs the workstation?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:3/19/1999; 3:47:57 AM
Topic:News Sites in Frontier 6

Wes got it right, as we're developing it, console.root assumes that there's a local copy of Frontier, but it doesn't *heavily* depend on it. It's also got a method for creating stories. Yes, they are stored in the DG, but thru the use of tableRenderers they totally appear to be in the website framework, and are rendered thru all the stuff there.

Re: "I know that I can post messages to the DG with just a browser, but I need Frontier to edit outlines and add items to the news page." Not true. Adding items to the news page can be done entirely thru the web browser interface. I don't need Frontier on the workstation to edit the SN home page. You won't need it either to edit your news page. However, if you want to use the outliner, you totally need to have Frontier, because that's where the outliner is. On the other hand, given enough time, it's reasonable to expect we will have competition there, with our open XML-RPC interfaces, any text editor can hook in.

The DG interface is lowest common denonimator, and as you can see, you do not need Frontier to access it. We will also hook Content Server up to the DG, and to guest databases, so you will continue to have lots of ways to configure it.

Further, we expect to price the workstation product so it's attractive to workgroups. We will want to make it easy for you to put a copy of Frontier on everyone's desktop.

BTW, last night we found the problem with "crashing" databases reported on the Frontier-user list last week and earlier this year. I put crashing in quotes because the databases weren't actually crashing, but the software thought they were. Another introduction to the law of Murphy. (Not Occam this time.) We have one more kernel issue to address before going golden with 6.0, the issue of outline performance on servers. We expect to ship 6.0 the end of next week, one week from today.