Re: Why Apple compare Apache on OS X with IIS on NT

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:3/19/1999; 7:08:20 AM
Topic:Why Apple compare Apache on OS X with IIS on NT

But I think the most telling aspect of this whole Mac OS X Server "event" is the fact that they open sourced the bulk of its code. While it makes for great press release fodder, I have to believe that the true reason follows Netscape's rationale for open sourcing Navigator. They want out of the business of developing and supporting that code. It's ironic (but not unexpected) that they appear to have made the decision to kill that platform at the same time they released the first version of it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves, IMO.

That had crossed my mind, and it would be very welcome. Let's get back to work on making the base of Mac apps, server, workstation and client, work on as much hardware as possible and as well as possible.

That's Apple's job, whether they get it or not. That's how they will be successful. Build boxes that attract users and developers.

BTW, the dichotomy between servers and workstations is, as you know, evaporating. HTTP is a great protocol for interapplication communication, a cross-platform substitute for Apple Events (which also wasn't mentioned at the Apple press conference, too bad).

So this idea that iMacs make great clients and Unix makes a great server, if it's really implemented that way, kills this idea for Mac users.

On the other side of the fence, members of the MSIE/Win team are taking a serious interest in helping us optimize the connection between Frontier and MSIE in this mode. Our Mac users should pay attention here. All the whining and cajoling and groveling seems to not draw Apple's involvement. But we don't have to whine to get Microsoft to work with us.

Does this make you wonder why Microsoft is #1 and Apple is rebuilding?