Re: Why Apple compare Apache on OS X with IIS on NT

Author:Chris Hanson
Posted:3/19/1999; 7:09:12 AM
Topic:Why Apple compare Apache on OS X with IIS on NT

What does Apple need to do to make you feel that your products are welcome on Mac OS X Server?

Macintosh APIs will be there with Mac OS X, in a modernized form. Current Macintosh applications cannot be run natively on a preemptively-multitasked memory-protected operating system without some porting (or a complete MacOS 8.x virtual machine), simply because of the way the Toolbox is structured. Carbon seems like a great value proposition.

As a developer, while Apple's silence on features and a lack of developer releases has annoyed me, I understand and accept their reasons and am willing to forgive them now that I can order it. And they never made me feel my applications weren't welcome.

And as an owner of a pair of NeXTstations, I can say that the Mac OS X Server development environment has me realy excited. I look forward to being able to get paid to do work in it.