Re: Rendering to PDF via Framemaker

Author:Brian V. Hughes
Posted:3/19/1999; 10:03:18 AM
Topic:Rendering to PDF

I've put a litte thought into this as well, since here at Dartmouth we have a lot of documents in FrameMaker, and I'll soon need to be able to incorporate them into our Frontier-based content management system..

So here's my thinking: FrameMaker can give nicely formed XML output based on it's internal style/tagging. That XML can live in Frontier quite nicely. XMLTR could be configured to translate that XML code into FrameMaker's tag format, which Frontier could incorporate into a FrameMaker template with the correct styles, and then that document could be output to PDF.

Now, it would be great if FrameMaker would allow you to import XML code, and do the translation to frame-tags itself, but that doesn't appear to be the way Adobe is going with the non-SGML version of FrameMaker.

An interesting aside to all of this is... it looks like Adobe has plans to incorporate full XML support into GoLive. They've got some limited support in the 4.0 release, and the GoLive lead engineer that I talked to at Seybold Boston hinted strongly that real XML editing and creation capabilities weren't too far off..