Supporting discriminated nulls in XML-RPC?

Author:Skip Montanaro
Posted:3/19/1999; 10:10:48 AM
Topic:Supporting discriminated nulls in XML-RPC?

Some time ago the subject of supporting discriminated null data in XML-RPC was brought up and apparently dropped. I just checked the spec and didn't see anything new. I scanned back through a couple pages of topics but didn't see anything there either.

I'm busy using XML-RPC to communicate between front-end Python and Perl stuff (CGI scripts, modules published through ZopeHTTPServer or Mason components) and back-end Python stuff (databases). The biggest problem I've encountered when converting existing code to use XML-RPC is identifying and converting cases where I use Python's None object. I have to figure out how it's used in the caller and callee, then figure out a reasonable replacement. The end result is usually that my code isn't as clear as it used to be and that I wind up adding the occasional extra bug to my code (as if I don't have enough bugs to squash already).

I would *really* like to see a or data type added to XML-RPC.

Thx,

Skip Montanaro skip@mojam.com