Re: URLs as UI revisited

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:3/24/1999; 7:41:35 AM
Topic:Sneak a peek at the new Frontier site

Thanks Steve. I've got the creative-guy jitters right now. A lot of thinking went into that site, a lot of thinking over a very long time. I'm very vulnerable right now. Keep saying you love it. That'll work!

The problem with Jakob's advice, while good, is that it doesn't take into account the development process on a community site like this one. I know I'm breaking the link-rot rule, I just publicized a URL that points into a database that I plan to delete this weekend.

But should I forgo the feedback process just to adhere to one of Jakob's rules?

Also, I've noticed that the companies with $billion valuations move very quickly and rip up their roots at a moment's notice. I am running a for-profit venture. I want my $billions too. So unless Jakob has a way of getting me my money, I'm going to start playing faster and looser too.

In my heart that I agree with him. Look at the DaveNet site. The URLs are beautiful. Look at www.scripting.com. However, if we want to leap to the next level of authoring, we need to put up some mathematic URLs, perhaps only for a short period of time.