Re: Build interfaces with xml: XUL (cnet article)

Author:Andrew Wooldridge
Posted:3/27/1999; 7:30:49 AM
Topic:Build interfaces with xml: XUL (cnet article)

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can. But you may have to sign the xul file... there are newsgroups at mozilla.org (xpfe) that could answer your question.

One thing that hasnt been talked about is not only can your UI be defined by a xul file, it can be morphed via dom commands. But I'm pretty sure they are going to put some safety measures in so that your UI doesnt change for every website you go to!

Also, just like you have navigator going to netcenter for searches, 404, etc. You could configure your UI to go to userland for the same stuff, or to any combination. You could even use userland for "what's related" or any other "search authority" you define.

(Or you could even turn off that feature if you like)

Plus I know there are plans for a sort of website where you can download new widgets and UI components for your mozilla . For instance some programmer writes an XPIDL widget that talks ICQ protocol. Well, all you have to do is download the widget, modify you XUL file , and now your browser talks ICQ!

Meaning someone could write a tiny XPIDL widget that talks xml-rpc or webdav and anyone who wants it could download it. Everything is componentized.