Re: For Review: Frontier Getting Started Guide

Author:Josh Buchanan
Posted:3/29/1999; 10:29:01 AM
Topic:For Review: Frontier Getting Started Guide

I'm just getting over the "newbie to Frontier" label, and can say that I found it a daunting task to get this type of consolidated information, all with the company seal of approval. Great!

I would amplify some of Emmanuel's comments:

Format

Also, if the purpose of the document is to be printed, why not offering a PDF version with an improved layout ? Not that I find the layout bad, I like it, but I think PDF files are more suited for printing than HTML.

Dave asks "How does it print?" Using IE 4.5 for the Mac, which does a much better job of formatting HTML for printing than any other browser I've seen, the document is 64 pages (including both parts of the tutorial).

I come from a design/print background, so I suspect that looking at it on paper brings up different issues for me than it does for people who prefer to work on screen. I'm unfairly applying rules for print to a version intended for the monitor--but I tend to print out most types of long content. There is so much good information ... information I can't use efficiently in its printed form.

Issues?

1. While the links work well on the screen, they are extra weight and paper when you print it.

2. The graphics tend to burn white space, too, since they aren't put next to the text that comments upon them. Narrow, long graphics are lengthening the printed document, and they don't have to. This also makes for unusual page breaks.

3. The lack of pagination attached to an index is the deal-breaker for the print version. 63 pages are too many to scan. A table of contents applied to static page numbering with the index lets you move quickly throught the documentation.

Solution?

The transition to PDF would allow you to rectify all of the above, plus add a high level of typographic and positional control to the document. You can also get it into your corporate/collateral look and feel, which I can't say I've seen. (Not that it's all that important, but it pleases the marketing folks :) ) By applying print rules to the print version, your users (and Plebians like myself) get the best of both worlds: great HTML, great print.

Of course, updatability in a PDF version will likely take a hit--and you'll need someone willing to donate design and Quark/PageMaker talent to the cause (those two could be mutually exclusive). With a great community like this, though, this shouldn't be a problem!