Re: setting up and using channels

Author:David Detlefsen
Posted:4/22/1999; 4:42:59 PM
Topic:setting up and using channels

I'm not sure I can tell you anything more with certainty...I'm feeling my way along here...but I'll try.

The writers should be insulated from frontier. If they can use tools they already know (like MSWord) then that's great. We've had some luck defining boilerplate documents to impose a little structure and then use VB to extract out text into XML and suck that into frontier. Content server & email would be great if only there was a way to have that content put into the db instead of rendered to external webpages. In general, an approach of using external (to frontier) writing tools and then working on scripts to pull in the data seems to be a good approach.

Maybe it's just me but I'm pretty geeked about this channel stuff. The two applications (a leaderboard for new drugs as they progress through the R&D process and a real-time remote status thing that would allow anyone to peak in on on-going experiments) that I described earlier are perfect for channels.

They way I would see people using this is having a browser window open tuned to the various project channels that they are working on...they are always well informed and can make better business decisions.

I guess the only way do this now is use frontier to construct my RSS channels and then set up a monster-truck-rally netscape channel server.

I encourge you to get some intranet service stuff going....I'd sure could use it.