Re: Sigh... Assimilate me, Oh Microsoft

Author:Dennis Peterson
Posted:4/22/1999; 5:07:44 PM
Topic:Sigh... Assimilate me, Oh Microsoft

Yeah, ASP is very powerful but there is a lot we've had to learn the hard way. Whenever Microsoft comes out with something new on their web software it's a real good idea to wait until people on the newsgroups have had a few months to try it out. Also it's a good idea to cluster a couple of webservers.

If you get it right, you can build something complicated and powerful. You can use Visual Basic to put your database code into objects running under Transaction Server and have pretty good scalability. Cluster the webservers and don't store state on them, and you can get good availability (we're not there yet but will be soon). We have a complex database application done all with ASP and stored procedures, we develop fast and it generally runs pretty well. We're pretty happy with the platform, even though we've had to rewrite code more than once to avoid the latest gotcha we've discovered.

I must confess I don't know a lot about Frontier. I'd like to learn more about it when I have a little free time.