Scalability of F6

Author:erik
Posted:4/23/1999; 5:58:04 PM
Topic:Scalability of F6

For an application like my.userland.com where you are serving up personalized dynamic content with mainResponder (or did I get that wrong?), how scalable is F6 to handle a large numbers of users? I realize it is an open-ended question, so however you want to address it, I'm all ears. Obviously it depends on how well you write the code that lays out the page, the size of your graphics, what else the system is doing, etc, but assuming you do a reasonable job coding, you have a Yahoo-like sparse graphic layout, and the system is not tied up doing a lot of other work... One possible avenue to an answer might talk about how many simultaneous users can my.userland.com handle, the size of the system, size of pipe, etc. Another avenue might be how well F6 performs on industry standard web-serving benchmarks. Another avenue might be how much CPU resource gets used by the web server vs. the XML story aggregation fetcher, how many stories your setup actually can pull per minute, etc. I understand my mileage will vary, but I'd like to get some data that gives me an order of magnitude starting point for thinking about scalability.

erik goetze