Script-Types?

Author:Oliver Wrede
Posted:4/25/1999; 9:12:10 AM
Topic:Script-Types?

Hello!

I thought it would be a great Idea if Frontier could directly execute Sctripts of any pluggable script interpreter!

As far as I understand, I can have JScript, VBScript and Perl as DLLs (on Windows) and can wrap the calls with UserTalk to call a Script engine and handover a string of code and recieve the result - but I still have to do UserTalk code in front of any non-UserTalk call.

Why not shortcutting this? I think it would be an insanly great thing to be able to define more script types than just "script" (for containing usertalk code). I'd like to be able to use a "perlscript" type if I have installed the corresponding script DLL.

This would make Frontier a real scripting enviroment -- not sticked to UserTalk alone! I also could directly call any available script as macros inside the pages.

I came up with this idea, when I had a discussion with someone who was not imperessed by Frontier in comparance to Perl. "That's not the point!", I said, "You may even develop your Perl stuff with Frontier and have a handy editor with some groupware functionality.".

Is this "feature" hard to implement? Is it wise to implement it from a certain standpoint?

It could make UserTalk obsolete and maybe mix up languages within a project and making it difficult to maintain or port anywhere else.

Oliver