Re: WINE ~= Carbon?

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:4/26/1999; 1:16:09 PM
Topic:Linux' wide open spaces

The big initial market that I see for frontier/linux is hosting.

If there's a linux/bsd/whatever binary for frontier, there a much better chance that a hosting company will let it on their machine. If I were doing commercial hosting right now, Frontier would be pretty much limited to colocation service, where you supply the computer and the company supplies the location and the bandwidth. This is not cheap. Running it on a shared machine is inviting you customers to conflict with each other.

If frontier is running as a user in unix, that limits the amount of damage that it can do to other customers. It can be constrained to its disk space, given it's own tcpip ports/addresses by the superuser, and left alone. This opens up the door to much more affordable hosting possibilities, since multiple users can be hosted on one machine.

eric