Re: I do my part to help the Mac

Author:Jeff A. Campbell
Posted:4/28/1999; 3:03:38 PM
Topic:Linux' wide open spaces

>We've had more success with a bi-platform product, and we'll make >decisions about new platforms based on all we know about the >potential market for the software and our own goals

But Dave, you basically just announced that you are looking toward a uni-platform solution. It sounds to me that you are planning on leaving the Mac platform (not porting to MacOSX - a platform which will be Apple's mainstay within a year - is the same as pulling out of the platform immediately). You can't have it both ways.

I've seen other companies try and fail in an attempt to hedge their bets. They stayed within the Mac market only in name, support for their products on the Mac side is limited at best, practically nonexistant at worst. These companies chose not to weather the storm with Apple, but have suddenly 'turned around' to reap in some of Apple's good fortune. Some people forget, but many of us don't.

If you abandon the Mac platform, do so quickly and painlessly. Don't prolong it into a "will he or won't he" situation. This breeds mistrust and apprehension in your customers - just ask Be, with their lack of PowerPC platform development. We won't blame you if you leave, you do run a business after all. But if you don't believe the ship is seaworthy, you'd do well to get off at the next port for those of us who do.

>Apple is free to pull the rug out from under the software that we >create and that you use.

I felt the same way - I own a PowerComputing clone, and was extremely upset with Apple when the clones were cut. I felt much the same way as you do. But now, I have been drawn back by the way Apple is doing business. They're courting developers with something more than sugar water this time. They're giving customers whatthey want, and we're coming in droves. They're exploring new paradigms in business that most companies wouldn't dream about with their open-source initiatives. Jobs has plugged the holes and turned the ship around.

You, on the other hand are pulling a rug out from underneath your developers. Remember Dave, you're not too different from Apple. You provide a platform for developers to work on. You provide the architecture and means to make things happen - this is admirable in its own right, even from the likes of Microsoft (even though I don't like Microsoft, heh). But you have to draw your lines and make your decisions solid and firm.

What you said - is it talk, or is it an announcement? If the latter, make it firm and you will gain few hard feelings.