Java on PalmOS and WinCE

Author:Dino Morelli
Posted:4/30/1999; 8:47:08 PM
Topic:new open e-book exchange format

And... while I'm thinking about it...

I recently got hooked up with Waba. This is a very good Java virtual machine for PalmOS and WinCE devices. It runs actual Java bytecodes, compiled by the standard Java compiler on your desktop machine.

But you must write to their API. It is a good API, though. Plenty of power and makes a lot of sense so far.

The apps you create with it are cross-platform across PalmOS, WinCE, the standard JavaVM and web browsers, which is VERY attractive. And I mean really cross platform. No tweaking.

I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. I've had my Pilot for 18 months and never wrote code for it. I just can't deal with any more straight C non-OO code. I like classes.