NSI censorship

Author:Alex Burgel
Posted:5/1/1999; 2:59:32 PM
Topic:DNS problems

I've been having a lot of trouble with NSI as well. Not with them screwing up my registration, but with them cancelling it.

On 3/17/99 i registered "pissed.com", which was meant to be a website for ranting about various things. A friend and I had been working on it for about 3 weeks. Then, on 4/9/99, I got an email from NSI saying that they had cancelled it because they thought "pissed" was a bad word. Apparently they follow FCC regulations about bad words, which is silly since they aren't governed by an FCC regulations.

So we've basically lost all the time and money that we spent on the website. And to make matters worse, "shit.com" has been registered since 2/21/99.

I don't know if competition in the services area will fix any of this because if NSI refuses to allow a registration into their database, what can anyone do about it?

We need to have some meaningful competition in this area. I can't imagine that it would be beyond anyones ability to create a distributed DNS system.