dot con

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:5/1/1999; 1:19:21 PM
Topic:DNS problems

I think there may be several solutions that are better than what we have now. What if NSI had a choice between running the database (registry) or selling domains as a registrar? Maybe we shouldn't let them do both.

Also, the top-level domains are logically separate, so each could have a separate registry. If the owner of .com does a bad job, maybe people will switch to .org or .net.

Yet another possibility is to start using the neglected .us domain. Why don't we have .com.us, .org.us, and .net.us? Or what about .nom.us and .web.us? You could even go so far as to phase out the use of global TLDs for non-global entites, but I suspect that's not a popular idea.