Re: I do my part to help the Mac

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/2/1999; 8:28:36 AM
Topic:Linux' wide open spaces

In my case I'm not sure that I have an allegiance to Apple (I bought 2 clones while they were available). It's more a case that I prefer using MacOS, and since Apple is the only company providing the OS, thats where I look to for improvements in the operating system.

I'm glad I asked the question. Key point, Apple is the only company providing the OS. As long as that's true, *both* our investments in the Mac OS version of Frontier are safe. That's what I want, and I believe that's what other developers with investments in Mac OS want too. As long as that's true, there's nothing to worry about.

Other people raise issues here that are scenarios where Apple stops supporting the Mac API. I think instead of speculating on what would happen if that happened, let's wait to see if it does happen. At that point, I believe, your issue is with Apple, not with Mac developers.

However, given the thoroughness of the "base-coverage" that Apple has outlined, I think they "get" this, that their momentum with developers is largely around the Mac APIs. It would be very foolish for them to throw that away.