Re: 36 .Com Registrars?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/2/1999; 7:07:47 PM
Topic:36 .Com Registrars?

I agree, it shouldn't be rocket science in 1999 to design a distributed database where each record knows the address of the server that's allowed to update it. The sole central server in the system would be a sempaphore that says hold on, I'm about to register a domain. That would avoid the problem of two simultaneous registrations that you mention. You couldn't have a collision. Something you can read about in Wirth's Fundamental Algorithms, hardly new technology.